Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

I live in a mobile home park, I own my mobile home and I

Customer Question

I live in a mobile home park, I own my mobile home and I rent the space. I signed a lease in 2007 when I moved. In 2012 and again in 2015 the Property manager sent me via mail a blank lease and request that I sign it and turn it in to the office (which
I did not because it was not filled out). He also said that the lease would be in effect whether it is signed or not. My question is this, is it legal for them to give out blank leases and request that we sign them and can they enforce what is in the new lease
without it being filled out or signed my me?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

That's a ridiculous request. It would be ludicrous to expect you to sign a document with blanks. That simply gives him the right to fill in the blanks in any manner he chooses. If he thinks that's such a great idea, tell him to sign the blank lease and then give it to you and give you the right to complete it. He's not going to agree to that anymore than you should ever sign a document that does not have all the blanks completed. A signed lease with the terms and conditions all blank would not be enforceable; but, you then run the risk that he fills in all the blanks to his advantage and claims you both agreed to the terms as evidenced by your signature.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!