Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

I have an amendment to a condo association contract signed

Customer Question

I have an amendment to a condo association contract signed by all condo owners, how and where do I file it?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

I woudl record it in the deed records of your county.This makes it public record and any sale or transfer of title will pick it up as an existing obligation.You want to walk this in and record it and they mail original back to you after filing.I would also make a copy of it just in case.

Once recorded you can order certified copies of it if any issues arise and it cannot be lost.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it subject to a real estate transfer fee?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Well recording it puts both current and later owners on notice of the transfer fees that are part of the Condo Association. It is a way of making it part of the deed records for everyone.You aren't legally required to do so but it makes sense if the fees are to apply to any sales or transfers.I think it offers protection to the Association because everyone is then presumed to have notice.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

And the original is never lost as it is recorded and on file here.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry I misread this, no it is only charged a small recording fee of a few dollars.I misunderstood that you were referencing the details of the contract here.The recording fees just a few dollars.No transfer fee here only hte fee to record.

Thanks for letting me clarify and for your patience.