Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

I recently did extensive repair and restoration on a mini

Customer Question

I recently did extensive repair and restoration on a mini Komatsu excavator, owner refuses to pay for the repair and wants to remove machine from my property, wanted information on filing a lein on equipment?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am looking into this for you now…..

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

What is the reason that the owner gives for not wanting to pay?

What is the amount of your bill?

What reason did the county recorder give for not wanting to record it?

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

California vehicle code defines vehicles as shown here. It appears that this equipment qualifies as a vehicle. Thus, this mechanics lien law applies.

In California, the legal requirements for a mechanic to assert a lien for unpaid repairs is based on retaining possession of the equipment. Thus, you will lose any lien rights you may have if you release it back to the customer. Your lien begin when you present the registered owner a written statement of the charges or 15 day after the work is complete, whichever occurs first.