Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

Is it proper that the manager of fla co-op reword resident a

Customer Question

Is it proper that the manager of fla co-op reword resident a request to establish a policy where a resident be allowed to disseminate information with controls through co-op website,news letter, designated bulletin board or areas where news media are placed and the agenda item request to the board is reworded on the agenda presented to the board to state said specific resident request request to disseminate information. I object that agenda request be altered. The policy of many associations is to limit ones first amendment rights on matters of this nature what I have read that this type of behavior can only be addressed by the courts or local government define residents rights to disseminate information to fellow residents. My question is what is your opinion on this matter so it is addressed properly since it is obvious management and many boards are adverse to requests of this nature even though there some communication at board of directors meetings with its limited attendance and coupled with apathy of majority of residents. You would think management and a board would want all sides to discuss issues in open atmosphere but its not the case and some of the directors are lawyers but its not the case.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and thanks for using JUST ANSWER. The right of freedom of speech is a civil liberty which applies to government action, not activities of private individuals. A coop board may limit the dissemination of advertising to it's membership through it's own publication or bulletin boards as long as the rule applies equally to all owner/members. You will have to work within the coop board system. Trying to take them to court over the issue that you mention here is not likely to have a positive result. I hope that this answer is helpful.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

I hope that this ANSWER is helpful and that you will now enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.