How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 115489
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in LA City, not in Fire District 1. Questions: 1) Am

Customer Question

We live in LA City, not in Fire District 1. Questions:
1) Am I correct that a wooden storage shed or playhouse of 80 sq ft, that we will assemble ourselves, does not need a permit? The roof is 8 feet high at the peak, there are no projections greater than 24 inches, and it will not have plumbing or electrical installations in it.
2) We are planning to put it very close to the side lot line where our neighbor has a 6 ft high fence--my understanding is that there is no setback requirement--is that correct? (Although it *will* be behind our front setback).
We have had disputes with this neighbor in the past, and he is a lawyer. I want to make sure that we're doing everything right.
Thank you!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

As long as it is not greater than 120 sq. feet and does not have electric or plumbing you are correct, no permit is needed.

There is no setback requirement outside the fire district as well according to the LA ordinances. Here are the ordinances for you if you do not have them it should be 91.101.5

Related Real Estate Law Questions