Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

We live in LA City, not in Fire District 1. Questions: 1) Am

Customer Question

We live in LA City, not in Fire District 1. Questions:
1) Am I correct that a wooden storage shed or playhouse of 80 sq ft, that we will assemble ourselves, does not need a permit? The roof is 8 feet high at the peak, there are no projections greater than 24 inches, and it will not have plumbing or electrical installations in it.
2) We are planning to put it very close to the side lot line where our neighbor has a 6 ft high fence--my understanding is that there is no setback requirement--is that correct? (Although it *will* be behind our front setback).
We have had disputes with this neighbor in the past, and he is a lawyer. I want to make sure that we're doing everything right.
Thank you!!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

As long as it is not greater than 120 sq. feet and does not have electric or plumbing you are correct, no permit is needed.

There is no setback requirement outside the fire district as well according to the LA ordinances. Here are the ordinances for you if you do not have them it should be 91.101.5 http://ladbs.org/LADBSWeb/codes.jsf