Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

What tax forms are required when paying off a mortgage

Customer Question

Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

The reason you couldn't find any forms is that paying off the mortgage is not a taxable transaction. It's simply using cash to pay off a debt which does not produce any taxable result. Only if you were to sell the property or the loan was forgiven in whole or in part (creating forgiveness of debt income) would you report this transaction. If you are only paying off the mortgage, you have no tax forms to complete and file.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How far back can they view on tax form 4506t if I try to refinance a mortgage
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for following up. I'm sorry for the delay in responding..I had a pre-scheduled meeting. Thanks for your patience and I apologize for any inconvenience.

Typically, they will only ask for the current year and the prior year.