Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I live in CA and will have a Power of Attorney form

Customer Question

I live in CA and will have a Power of Attorney form notarized there, but will travel to Georgia to sign for the sale of a house. Do I need a Power of Attorney form for both states?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No. Provided that the Power of Attorney is signed and notarized, it should be seen as valid in GA as it would be in CA. Under the "Full Faith and Credit Clause" of the US Constitution that has the states mutually recognize the "public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state," including power of attorneys.

Although CA and GA are not members of the Unified Power of Attorney Act, they still share the same basic concepts of the legal doctrine and almost identical requirements for enforceability, which coupled with the "Full Faith and Credit Clause" of the US Constitution" makes it a pretty much settled matter of recognition.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!