ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

I am renting a basement apartment in herriman ut I wondering

Customer Question

Hi I am renting a basement apartment in herriman ut I wondering if I am required to give 30 days of after the date of lease end my lease ends on Nov 1 and he wants me to pay another 30 days rent the lease was not notarized
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. A lease doesn't have to be notarized to be binding. It doesn't even have to be signed, although in such a situation the lease is a "month to month" lease. And at the end of a written lease, it converts to a month to month lease and the provisions for terminating the month to month lease would then apply. Note, however, that it's only the termination and rent provisions that are month to month. The other obligations still control. So the obligations by you or him to give a certain amount of notice would control if they're in the contract itself, even though the contract is no longer operative. If it says 30 days, then you would need to give 30 days. If it's silent, that's a bit more problematic: Utah state law does not specify how much notice tenants must provide to end a month-to-month rental agreement. Unless your rental agreement specifies otherwise, assume that you may provide the same amount of notice (15 days) as the landlord to end your tenancy. Be sure to check your rental agreement which may require that your notice to end the tenancy be given on the first of the month or on another specific date. In some situations, you may be able to move out with less (or no) notice—for example, if your landlord seriously violates the rental agreement or fails to fulfill legal responsibilities affecting your health or safety.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (30 minutes) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sorry i did not realize i got to respond if you are still there does a lease need to state that it rolls into a month to month for that to be valid? If I lost my window I do apologise and thank you for your time

I am back. The lease does not need to state this to be valid. A lease, to be valid, need only have the "minimum" amount of information required to specify the terms of the lease (the time period, rental amount, understanding of what the property is to be rented).

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (30 minutes) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Was there anything else?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

I don't know if you're still there. Please let me know if there's anything else. If not, please rate this answer.