Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

In 2010, I bought a house with my now ex-boyfriend. He up

Customer Question

In 2010, I bought a house with my now ex-boyfriend. He up and moved out of the house Jan 2014. He told me he wasn't helping with any of the bills and that he would sign the quit claim deed if i could show him i could refinance the house into my own name. In July I sent him a letter telling him i was able to refinance and he needed to sign the attached quit claim deed in front of a notary. He sent me a letter back stating that he would sign the quit claim deed if i send him a money order for $12,000. He is out of his mind. I have been making the house payment and paying all the bills to go with it on my own since he left. He also received $5010 that was supposed to be used to fix the kitchen which had a leak and a plumber came in and tore the cabinets and dry wall out from under the sink and also part of the dry wall in the dining room. He told me the insurance wasn't going to take care of it and that i was stuck with the kitchen that way. I later found out that he received the
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

You can't force him to give up his interest in the property.....but you also don't have to let him off the hook for the loan.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If you want to rid him from the property, you can file a partition lawsuit to force the sale of the property, but you would likely have to buy him out for any equity in the house.