Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I am an owner of a residential unit in a small condominium

Customer Question

I am an owner of a residential unit in a small condominium in New York City. The commercial unit was sold recently and the new owner wants to lease the unit to a new tenant whose business does not comply with the Occupancy Group and the Number of Occupants of the certificate of occupancy of the building. The new owner was aware of the limitations of the certificate of occupancy before the purchase. The condo board is against amending the certificate of occupancy of the building (which has to be applied by the condo board) to accommodate the new tenant. The owner of the commercial unit is threatening legal action against the condo board to get the certificate of occupancy amended. Does the owner of the commercial unit have a reasonable case and should the condo board comply?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

I am not permitted to tell JustAnswer.com what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights that might potential apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.

I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?

Thank you.