Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
68197583

How can i get a title car in this situation: my friend does

Customer Question

How can i get a title for a car in this situation : my friend does forclosed home cleanouts, he must take everything off of property for bank to resell. He had to take a vehicle off that was there 2 1/2 years, it was the person who owned the house but has deceased 2 years ago. I am to buy it from him and then what ?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

Was the home foreclosed before the owner died?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure, but i can try to find that out tomorrow

We want to know if this would fall under an abandoned or unclaimed vehicle. Based on the period of time you would think anyone that was an heir to the deceased person may have tried to claim the vehicle. Either way in order to get title this would be handled through the Ohio Department of Motor Vehicles. For example this link sets out the process in Lake County Ohio. Do we know where the vehicle was registered and if it is in the deceased man's name? Do we know if had a loan on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we continue this after i gather the information?

Yes. Please return to this question when you have the information. Thank you.

He will need to contact the department of motor vehicles. You want to make sure there are no outstanding loans against the vehicle. Were you able to obtain any additional information? Please feel free to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I may receive credit for my work I would appreciate it. Thank you for using JA!

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be in touch, I have not recieved all the info I need to continue the questions. Please be patient and I will gather them, I am self employed and trying to do everything at once. Your help is greatly appreciated !

No worries. Take your time. Just be aware that this will be handled through the Department of Motor Vehicles. Thank you.