Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My neighbor intentionally installed video cameras on their

Customer Question

My neighbor intentionally installed video cameras on their private property directly aimed at my house, yard, decks and actually into my bathroom window. Multiple cameras that are not sighted to conduct surveillance of their own property. I can't believe this is legal.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

It is only legal as far as the cameras being aimed at "public" areas like the outside yards, both front and back. These are areas where a person has no "reasonable expectation of privacy" so videotaping is legal. But if the person has the cameras trained so as to be able to record activities inside your home, that is illegal and is considered "peeping" and invasion of privacy.

.

So your recourse here would be to first call the police to show them the cameras that are pointing towards inside your home and they should contact the neighbor and tell them that they are not allowed to do that and must move them or point them somewhere else.

.

If the neighbor doesn't move them, or does and then moves them back, you can file a formal criminal complaint as well as sue them for "private nuisance" and invasion of privacy. A private nuisance is an interference with a person's enjoyment and use of his land. The law recognizes that landowners, or those in rightful possession of land, have the right to the unimpaired condition of the property and to reasonable comfort and convenience in its occupation.

.

The judge could then award you damages for the invasion as well as issue an injunctive order against them aiming them towards the house so that inside areas could be monitored under threat of contempt of court and 6 months jailtime..

.

.

thanks