Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I bought an old house 2 years ago. We had a home inspection

Customer Question

i bought an old house 2 years ago. We had a home inspection and a structural engineer perform an inspection. We have now issues with the way the foundation . The reason why we had an engineer perform was because there has been foundation damage due to termite that was re mediated by the previous owner but we wanted the remediation work to be inspected. Now we have wall creaking floor moving and had two other structural engineer informally come to see the issue and both of them said that the first engineer should have never said that it was a ok job. The job is poorly done. What option do I have .
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You have no warranty from the seller regarding the foundation, correct?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was for some reason the system would not let me answer to you...
I have to leave for work now but I will be able to answer every once in a while.
I am not sure what you meant by foundation warranty?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Well, clearly, there is likely a cause of action against the construction engineer who did the prepurchase inspection for professional malpractice. You will just need the testimony of the two recently retained engineers who declared the inspection to be substandard.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You may also want to check with your sellers to see if the work they had done is still covered by warranty and if the warranty was tranferrable to successor owners.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions before you rate my service to you?