Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I signed a contract single family home that listed natural

Customer Question

I signed a contract for a single family home that listed natural gas as heat in the home. As I was attempting to turn on all utilities I kept running into a brick wall in trying to turn on the gas. I inquired through my agent over the course of 12 days to find out if there was gas or not. As it turns out, the seller's agent misrepresented the home. It does NOT have gas. This configuration of the house is not what I signed a contract for. It is one week before closing.
I have sent a Void of Contract (because the contract is actual not accurate as written anyway), but the seller wants to keep my $1,000 earnest deposit. I feel that means that I am being forced to spend money toward a service not rendered. I believe that I should have my money returned.
Advice?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

1. Who is the escrow agent and what do they say about this?