Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

Is it discrimination to quote bible verses at the bottom of

Customer Question

Is it discrimination to quote bible verses at the bottom of each category of service on a real estate team web site and the tag line "a faith based team"
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Discrimination requires that a person suffer an adverse action. It would not be considered discrimination for a private citizen or privately-owned company (not the government) to represent themselves as religious or to quote the Bible on their own advertisements - that is protected by free speech. They are allowed to advertise themselves as religious, and you're allowed to choose another Realtor if that bothers you.

It would be illegal for the company to refuse to hire people who did not share their religious beliefs, because the law prohibits discrimination in employment. It would also be a violation of the Fair Housing Act to refuse to sell or rent a property to someone based on their religious beliefs, or to refuse to negotiate, and that is illegal.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.