RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I want to quit claim a house to my wife. My name is on the

Customer Question

I want to quit claim a house to my wife. My name is ***** ***** loan, not my wife's, but her name is ***** ***** deed. If I quit claim the house to her, can she just take over the loan or will she have to get a loan of her own?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. A quit claim deed will only transfer an ownership interest / title. It will not remove a person from a loan, so by doing this, you will still be on the loan. To get yourself off and her on, you would need to either refinance the loan or see if the lender will allow her to assume it, both solely in her name.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!