Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I bought a brand new home 3 years ago, October 9 2012. The

Customer Question

I bought a brand new home 3 years ago, October 9 2012. The first spring rain, I noticed excessive water in the back and side yard. It was like a swamp and would sit 48-72 hours in my yard before draining. It was even causing problems with one of my fence post, in which you could see the concrete. I sent the builder a letter explaining this and other problems I was having with my house over the first year. I also contacted the supervisor builder several times. He said we just got a lot of rain that spring. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and thought I would watch as time marched on. Well, the same thing happened in spring of 2014 and again in spring of 2015. I finally got very upset and set building supervisor an email about the issue, as well as texted and left messages on his phone. He completely disregarded my contacts. I had a city surveyor, a foundation specialist, a retired contractor, and a landscaper come to my property and tell me what was wrong. They all pretty much agreed that when they shot the grade of the property, it was not done correctly for water to drain off into the street. The landscaper said he would have to take down a portion of my fence, bring in equipment to back fill, so that rain will drain off appropriately. He said he would need to replace fence with split two post, so water will not sit on the post. He also said gutters need to be buried and pointed out to street, to alleviate drainage. All in all, he said it will cost me at least $3,000.00. I am so overwhelmed and extremely angry at the builder. I bought a brand new home, so I would not have to spend chunks of money right off the bat. Please help me, I am desperate. With every day I do not fix this problem, the standing water gets closer and closer to my foundation and has already caused by back patio to crack.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

What State is your home located in?

Expert:  evanesq replied 1 year ago.

Do you want assistance with this question?