TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Someone in my hoa has started a committee to stop me from

Customer Question

someone in my hoa has started a committee to stop me from dog sitting. Can they do this? Can i fight htis?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

To clarify, do you mean that you have numerous dogs at your house as part of a dog sitting business? If so, then I'm sorry to say that the HOA can indeed prohibit such activity. But that doesn't mean that you can't fight it. The way to fight it is to convince the HOA's board that you should be permitted to dog sit at your house. If the board votes against you, then can continue to fight it by attempting to vote in new board members who are sympathetic to your situation. The bot***** *****ne is that HOAs are democracies just like our government. If you don't like the laws, then you can vote in new Congressmen, etc. Similarly, you can vote in new board members if you don't like the HOA's bylaws.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about this enforcement discrimination law? why is it ok if some people have dogs and i can't?
I don't have a business i walk for people in my building and friends and they give me tips.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again.

Q: why is it ok if some people have dogs and i can't?

A: It wouldn't be okay for the HOA to arbitrarily decide that your neighbor can have a dog and that you can't. If that is going on, then you certainly would have a viable case against the HOA. But the HOA does have a right to state that you cannot have numerous dogs at your house, and that you cannot run a business out of your house.

As an aside, if you are walking or sitting dogs for tips, then that is a business. Unfortunately, there is no way around that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what if i work for a dog listing site? how is that different from people who work from home??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tons of people in my building sell mary kay from their home, work from home. If i'm on a site such a rover.com, how is that any different?? I'm employed by rover!!
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again.

Q: what if i work for a dog listing site? how is that different from people who work from home??

A: I'm sorry to say that I don't know what a dog listing site is, so I'm not sure that I can adequately answer this question. However, in general, I will point out that there is a difference between somebody working from home on a computer or using a telephone, and somebody working from home with numerous dogs owned by clients. The person with the computer and telephone is unlikely to cause a disturbance for his neighbors, whereas the person with a bunch of dogs is much more likely to cause a disturbance for his neighbors. Please note that I'm not saying that you cause a disturbance ... I'm just pointing out an obvious distinction between the two situations.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!