Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I agreed to a lease purchase home, the people who signed as

Customer Question

I agreed to a lease purchase for my home, the people who signed as the tenants are not the tenants, they rented the house out. When I requested a copy of renters insurance they told me I didnt need it cause the insurance on the home would cover any damage, I said yes, but im not being responsible for the renters items. I was then told sine I signed the agreement I have no rights to the house, but my name is ***** ***** one on it. They want tto put their name on the deed, which I don want to do, I did this due to my husband passing and I couldnt afford the payments. Can you give me some advise if this lease is legal or not, thank you robin johnson
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If you did a lease with option to purchase, then they don't get their names on the deed until they have actually finished purchasing the house. Until then, they are just tenants who can be evicted if they breach the lease agreement.

.

But if there is nothing that prevents them from subleasing, then that wouldn't be a violation. They are still liable for the payments and any damages that may be caused by the subtenants though.

.

So you can tell them that as soon as they pay the house off, or they refinance with a bank, you will add them to the deed. But until that happens, they are legally just tenants.

.

As for insurance, you need to keep it on the house in case of some damage from fire or storm so it would pay it off, but you aren't liable to pay for any of the tenant's personal property if they don't have their own insurance.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that helped me alot. And this is Tennessee law? Correct.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time..

.

And yes, all answers and information provided is based on the customer's state. That is why they ask you what state you are in when you post a question. Giving customers information based on CA or FL law when they are in TN wouldn't help them much...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much, you have eased my mind, you did a wonderful job. I wish you where in tennessee as I have another question but dont have the money currently to pay you to get a answer, when I do, I will come to you again. Thank you
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

No worries, happy to help any time..

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks much