Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience.
77476456

I would like to have the renewal clause reviewed on my lease

Customer Question

I would like to have the renewal clause reviewed on my lease agreement before signing. I do not feel comfortable with it. The following:
SURRENDER/HOLD OVER: Upon the expiration of the Term, Tenant shall surrender the Premises to Landlord in as good order and condition as they were in at the commencement of the Term (except for ordinary wear and tear) together with all additions, alterations and improvements which may have been made in or to the Premises pursuant to this Lease. Landlord may, at its option, require the Tenant to remove all such alterations and additions and to restore the Premises to the condition they were in when originally delivered to Tenant, save ordinary wear and tear. In the event Tenant continues to occupy the Premises after the expiration of the Term, without being given a renewal or new lease, such occupancy shall be considered a tenancy from month-to-month at a monthly rental equal to $4,000 per month. This provision shall not give Tenant any right to continue occupancy following the expiration of this Lease, except with the consent of Landlord. Tenant shall be liable to Landlord for all damages occasioned by such holding over, including claims by any succeeding occupancy of the Premises for such delay.
My question is; After the two year term my lease is for, when we renew will it jump to $4000.00 per month if we do not renew the contract as it is or will we automatically renew at the $4000.00 amount per month?
Thank you,
Alexander
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

If you do not sign a new lease, or sign a renewal of the lease, after two years the lease ends. You switch to a Month to Month.

Under a normal lease you get to stay for the set period of time. In your case two years.

Under a month to month either party can end the agreement with 30 days notice. The rate will be $4000.00 at that time.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.