Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

Adverse Possession in Maryland property. I own a quick lube

Customer Question

Adverse Possession in Maryland for commercial property.
I own a quick lube business and I have begun selling 55 gallon drums of oil whole sale to retail customers. That aspect of my business is beginning to grow and I need a warehouse to house my 55 gallon drums. The business hasnt grown so much that I can afford to lease a warehouse, but it has grown enough to take up way too much space in my quick lube garage.
There is no shortage of abandoned looking warehouses in Baltimore County, especially the city of Baltimore. If I began storing my drums in an "abandoned" warehouse, how long would it take before the property would be considered mine?
Is this even possible at all? Do you pay property taxes? Utilities? How do you make this mlegitimate?
Thanks
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To obtain 'adverse possession' in Maryland, “...the person claiming adverse possession must prove actual, open, notorious and visible, exclusive, hostile and continuous possession of the claimed property for at least 20 years.” That means that you must physically be on premises, you cannot hide such actions, you would have to keep others out, this would have to be against the wishes of the real owner, and it would require you to keep using that space for 20 years non-stop. It is possible but very very tough. Paying taxes does create a stronger claim, but doing so early in the process may be unwise since Maryland has such an uncompromisingly long statute pertaining to the length of time you have to be on premises.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.