Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

We live in NJ. We rented a condo in Fla. from Jan. 26 thru

Customer Question

We live in NJ. We rented a condo in Fla. from Jan. 26 thru Feb. 28th, 2016 from the owner. Our rental is for $1600 for this stay in addition to $59.00 cleaning fee and we have to pay to park for the time of the rental. We have a contract and according to the contract we sent him $300 deposit which he acknowledged and then we are to send him the balance of the rent in December 2015. We just received a letter from Fla. that here is now a new owner of this condo and the new owner is requesting a rental fee of over $800 for this period of time. However, the old owner also emailed us and told us that the agreement between the old owner and the new owner was that the new owner would honor the contract we had with the old owner. However, when we spoke with the new owner he told us he has no intention of honoring our old contract. We also have already paid for our train fare for this period of time. What do we do.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Since your lease predated the sale, the new owner took title subject to the lease.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If they refuse to honor the lease then you can sue for breach.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?