WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

If my house build a bedroom and a bathroom and a kitchen

Customer Question

If my house build a bedroom and a bathroom and a kitchen without city permit, can the house be sold in Marin county of California ?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

Oh, hello, I live in Marin County too. This is actually a very common occurrence in Marin. The answer is that you should disclose it to the buyer, and then the buyer takes title knowing that the additions are unpermitted. So, yes, you can sell the house that way, but you should make the buyer aware of the situation by putting it into the disclosures, and that way you can't be blamed if the buyer subsequently has to remove the addition. In other words, once you disclose it and sell it that way, it becomes the buyer's problem.

Maybe you are my neighbor.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In Marin , without permit addition, title of the deed can not be transfered . How can it be sold?
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

you would have to do a sale that would not be recorded.

Now, please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.