Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

How do I transfer my interest in property to my daughter

Customer Question

how do I transfer my interest in property to my daughter
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If you have an ownership interest in real estate, then you can transfer it to daughter by having a local real estate attorney or title/closing company prepare a new deed from you as the Grantor over to her as the Grantee. Once it is signed and notarized by you, it is then recorded at the local land records office where the property is located and that completes the transfer.

.

A local closing or title company will likely be cheaper and faster and can help with getting the deed signed and recorded for a small additional fee... Deed prep should be around $150.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I have to have an attorney how do I get the property description and tax map #
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

You don't have to hire an attorney to prepare the deed. That is why I mentioned contacting a closing or title company as they will do it cheaper and faster. If you have your old deed it will have the required information on it for the deed source and recording information for the chain of title. If you don't have the current deed, the title/closing company will go to the local land records office and get a copy.

.

If you aren't familiar with drafting your own deeds, then it isn't a good idea to do so because if you don't do it correctly, it can result in a defective deed that has to be corrected later at a much greater cost.. So it is best to have someone who does it every day prepare the deed to ensure it is done correctly.

.

.

thanks