Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

My neighbors tree branches extend past the property line .I

Customer Question

My neighbors tree branches extend past the property line .I want the tree branches cut to the property line. The tree service needs to go in my neighbors yard to climb her tree to trim the branches and limbs up to the property line. When I asked her for permission to go onto her property she said no, she does not want the tree trimmers on her property. Is there anything I can do ,to have this work done?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this is happening.

You can bring an action in trespass against your neighbor because her tree branches are trespassing on your property. Then a judge will order her to cut the branches back to the property line or to give you access to do so. You can also ask that she be ordered to pay you a nominal amount of damages, plus compensation for any damage the tree has done to your property. Note that if you go to court, she'll also have to pay your filing fees.

Another option is to send her a "cease and desist" letter, via certified mail, giving her one chance to do the right thing before you sue her. She might take the letter more seriously if a local attorney wrote it for you.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.