Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

I have received a Three Day Notice To Perform Covenant or

Customer Question

I have received a Three Day Notice To Perform Covenant or Quit. It states that I must remove my dog from the premises within 3 days before I am evicted. They claim this is because my dog "attacked another dog on the premises which caused significant injury". The problem is my dog has literally NEVER been in a fight, and is always on a leash with me when not in my apartment. The leasing office will not speak to me about the matter. Do I have any rights to find out what the story is behind this false complaint without going to court?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am sorry to hear this, and as a dog owner I sympathize. However the landlord has no duty to inform or provide you with information as far as this complaint against you. That, regrettably, limits your options. But if you prevail, which you can do if there is no evidence against you for any harm, you can demand, via discovery, proof of complaint and evidence, and if you get it dismissed, counter sue for defamation of character. But you cannot force them to give this to you up-front, I am sorry!

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.