RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

My husband and I own two homes with existing mortgages. How

Customer Question

My husband and I own two homes with existing mortgages. How do we will the homes to our child, do we write it on the will?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. Yes, just like any property or assets you have, you want to devise these to your children or anyone else you desire, in your will. You want to specifically identify the property and specifically state the share that each child will take, upon you both passing. Moreover, you want to address if any of your funds will be used to pay off the home, taxes or anything related to it, if you desire. Ideally, you want an attorney to draft the will, to make sure it is properly execute an conveys your wishes, when you both pass. You can also incorporate provisions for each other, to avoid any problems.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!