Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

I was deeded property(house) from a relative by quit claim

Customer Question

I was deeded property(house) from a relative by quit claim deed and the person doing so gave themselves a life estate in the property. Now that person wants to sell the property that was deeded to me. The house is in Tennessee if that matters. Thanks PB
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

The relative needs your consent here to do so.You could quit claim your interest back to them or sign the sales contract and closing documents.But unless you agree to do this there can be no sale.You have the remainder interest from what you state, you are both the legal owners and have to agree to a sale.

If you want to give up your interest you would just do a quitclaim, it conveys any interests that you have.

Sample quit claim forms..

http://register.shelby.tn.us/media/forms/QC.pdf

You sign it in front of notary and it gets filed in deed records.Again he has to buy out your interest or you give it up here by quit claim deed.You have a remainder interest and it has to be resolved.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.