Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I own a timeshare in N Myrtle Beach with a man who no longer

Customer Question

I own a timeshare in N Myrtle Beach with a man who no longer is on my life. We are tenets in common on the timeshare. I paid for the timeshare and continue to pay the yearly maintenance fee. I would like to sell it but he will not sign the paperwork. What if any options do I have?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this. Someone in your situation can file suit for something called a partition. Then, the Judge will decide what is fair to do with a property when joint owners cannot agree. The Court may:

-order it sold and profits (if any) split, or

-order one party to buy the other out, either lump sum or piecemeal, or

-order whatever else the Court feels is fair.

I am afraid this would be the only way to resolve this unless the two parties can agree to a course of action peacefully.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I file a Partition?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

This is a lawsuit, so it is not simple. I am afraid it is impossible to describe how to do this via this medium - it is like asking "how do I do minor surgery?"

What I can do is link you to a sample complaint petition for this - HERE. You can also see a very good FAQ about this HERE.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!