Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

If my husband and I sell our home and have capital gains of

Customer Question

If my husband and I sell our home and have capital gains of 1,800,000 how many months to reinvest in real property to avoid capital gains tax?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

The rules were changed a number of years ago regarding avoiding capital gains by re-investing the proceeds from sale. That was replaced by Section 121 of the Internal Revenue Code whereby if you lived in the property as your principal residence at least 2 years out of the 5 years prceeding the sale, you can exclude up to $250,000 ($500,000 when married as in your case), of the gain. Any excess is subject to tax whether or not you reinvest the proceeds.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. But, I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!