Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My issue relates to an office situation where a new owner in

Customer Question

Customer: my issue relates to an office situation where a new owner in our Condo association removed the ceiling and sound proofing from his units. He had the legal right to do so but his renovations have impacted the sound from a hair salon beneath us.
We live in VA and own a condo in an older building. There is commercial and residential units in the building. We own the spaces that occupy (or can lease them out). The Salon has loud and boisterous gatherings and I have spoken with our association and the owner of the space abour about exploring some sound proofing to muffle the noise which can be loud and obnoxious. I wondered what the legal definition of quiet enjoyment was and if this might pertain to a small claims court suit that I am considering filing.
Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxx
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Quiet enjoyment legally means the right of an owner or Tenant to use his or her property or leased premises in peace without disturbance from neighbors. You can use this claim in your lawsuit if the Condo Association and your neighbor refuse to put a sound proofing device to reduce the noise coming from the salon.