Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

I bought a new house build by Richmond and it has issues,

Customer Question

I bought a new house build by Richmond and it has issues, They have been doing construction for 8 months now and still not done , what type of compensation can i demand from them for this .
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

When did the contract state that construction was to be completed? Was there any phrase in the contract that said something like "Time is of the essence?" What reasons, if any, have they given for the delay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sb the house was build and finished in 2014 , I bought it as a new house and Richmond stated that it comes with one year warranty as most common new builds due. Two months into me living in the house there was a huge Crack in the basement foundation and from there all started to go down hill. They have been repairing one thing after another for the last 10 months. Every time they need to be there for repairs I have to take time of work as well ,

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

If the builder is making the repairs under the warranty, that is all that he's legally obligated to do at this point. The law of contracts provides that, when someone breaches a contract, the other party has a right to be made whole. But there unfortunately isn't any law that entitles you to compensation for your time and frustration in having the repairs dealt with. The only way you'd have a lawsuit is if he was refusing to make the repairs and you had to pay someone else, but in that scenario, you still wouldn't get time off work for having to go to court. And there's no sort of pain and suffering in damages for a breach of contract where no one is physically injured.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.