LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

I am setting up a Start Up. Though explaining it in detail

Customer Question

I am setting up a Start Up. Though explaining it in detail would take a whole essay, in a nutshell it is about offering memberships to people's garages whether they are gyms, video game rooms, or meditation rooms. Members pay $30 a month and home owners pay their rent with the membership fees.I am aware that renting garages is illegal in most of California but what I am trying to accomplish is a membership, the garage would only be open 40 hours a week, and no one would live in there,just go there stay a couple of hours and leave. I was wondering if this was legal
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

There is nothing inherently illegal about your proposal as the garage would not be rented out as a residence, but keep in mind that you may run into zoning problems with being able to operate a "business" in a residential area and in homeowner associations this would probably violate HOA By-laws.

The business would need to be legally registered and comply with local regulations or risk being shut down.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug