RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I am renting a room in my house and I haven't received rent

Customer Question

I am renting a room in my house and I haven't received rent money from him in over 2 months and I want to evict him. What procedure do I have to follow if I ask him to leave and he won't
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If rent is past due, a 3 day notice needs to be served on a tenant to pay/cure or vacate. If they do not pay the past due rent, then you could proceed and evict through the court, once the 3 days pass. The clerk of court should have the forms for you to fill out and file, to start this process and he will be served and placed on notice, for the eviction. The fact that he has these expenses is not your concern and he needs to pay the rent when owed.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!