RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I have been living with my partner years. During this time

Customer Question

I have been living with my partner for 10 years. During this time he has bought a business and a home. We are domestic partners. What right do I have when it comes to the business and the house?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. You would have a right and interest in those things, if acquired during the course of the partnership and based upon your contributions to it, as well. The California Domestic Partner Rights and Responsibilities Act of 2003 effective 1/1/05, grants registered domestic partners the "same rights, protections, and benefits," and imposes upon them the "same responsibilities, obligations, and duties" as are granted to and imposed upon spouses under the law, "whether they derive from statutes, administrative regulations, court rules, government policies, common law or any other provisions or sources of law." As such, if you broke up, you would likely be entitled to a shared interest in the home and some of the business.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!