Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

I was illegally subletted a room and board. The landlord is

Customer Question

I was illegally subletted a room and board. The landlord is evicting the people that subletted this room and board I have a lease from them, but they are not the
Owners. I have a son who is developmentally disabled. I am very severely hindered to find a place right away . I am a injured worker , I am disabled as well. The landlord says she is not evicting me because I was a victim. But she also says when the sheriffs come to lock out
, or padlock the doors me and my son will be willfully or unwillingly removed or go to jail. What do I do.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

The landlord is somewhat misleading you. If you illegally subletted property, you can take the landlord to court in California for 'punitive damages' of up to 3 times your monthly rent AND for your relocation costs. While you are not entitled to stay, the landlord is obviously hoping that you wouldn't know that you have a right to demand that the landlord reimburse you for your moving expenses so she is trying to bully you to leave. Therefore it is very much in your best interest to consider threatening to take the landlord to court, and if she won't take you seriously, do exactly that--demand that the landlord cover your relocation expenses and return your rental fees for at least three months.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not the landlord it is the lease holder who sbletted the room to me and my son.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

My answer still applies. If the lease holder had no legal right to sublet, he can be held liable for the lease, and you can still seek reimbursement from that person for relocation expenses.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.