CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

I have personal property (car parts) located at a business

Customer Question

I have personal property (car parts) located at a business (repair shop) whose owners were evicted. The property management told me that they own that (my) property now and that they have two weeks to hold the property and then dispose of it in any means they see fit. Is this accurate?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

No, this is not accurate. If the landlord has actual notice that the property belongs to someone other than the tenant they cannot auction those items off.

See this link for a detailed guide on what the landlord must do with property left after an eviction has occurred: http://www.shastalaw.net/tenancy/possessionsleft.html#NO. 2

I would recommend sending the landlord (through the property manager) a detailed list of the items that belong to you along with a demand for the return of the property. Copy the business (the repair shop) on your letter - you can send it to the address that the business was at (USPS mail forwarding requested), and send a copy to whatever forwarding address you have for the business.

Keep a copy of any correspondence you send or receive.