Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
68197583

I wanted to know if someone could sign off on a contract

Customer Question

I wanted to know if someone could sign off on a contract that the contractor could not hold the home owner responsible for any personal injuries.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

What kind of work is being performed? Are you working with a licensed and bonded contractor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roofing, No

In Illinois if you a hire a licensed and bonded contractor who carries their own insurance and worker's compensation, they are required to maintain their own insurance and would not only be liable for injuries sustained but also for any damages they cause to you property.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there not licensed or bonded. they would sign a waiver that states they could not sew.

Even if they sign the waiver they still could sue if their injury was in some way caused by a dangerous condition on your property. Where is your property located as there may be a requirement that this type of work must be performed by a licensed contractor? I do not want to see you face any personal liability. It is just not worth the risk. Illinois is very strict when it comes to the use of unlicensed contractors and the liability the homeowner can face as well as other potential issues. I am providing this link for you with regard to the law https://www.illinois.gov/ready/Press/Documents/RoofersBrochure.pdf

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I may receive credit for my work I would appreciate it. Thank you for using JA!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do that, I assume it will direct me to a survey?

I am not sure what you mean by a survey, Are you referring to this site? I am happy that I could help. Thank you for using JA!

Thank you for using JA! I am happy that I could help.

I believe the site sends out surveys in addition to you rating our service. The attorneys will not receive credit for answering a customer's question unless the customer rates our service positively. Thank you.