Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Does the grantor of an access easement have any

Customer Question

Does the grantor of an access easement have any responsibility to maintain the easement?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

.

Yes, unless the written easement states otherwise, then the default duties are that the underlying property owner has the duty to maintain the easement in the same condition it was in when the easement owner acquired it. They don't have to improve it, just maintain it. So if it is a gravel drive when the easement is created, the property owner has to maintain the gravel drive, but they don't have to pave it or otherwise improve it.

.

.

thanks