Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Do I as the landlord have the right to refuse to pay hotel

Customer Question

Do I as the landlord have the right to refuse to pay for a hotel while emergency repairs are made to the rented property? The tenant said I had to pay for a hotel while crews are running equipment to dry out the rental property due to a leak that went unnoticed until the water had leaked under the wood flooring and through the slab into the underground garage.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If the property is uninhabitable while the work is being done, then yes, you would have to provide alternate accommodations while the work is being done. The landlord has a legal duty under the lease to provide a habitable dwelling and if the property is uninhabitable due to the work, that would be a breach of the landlord's duty under the contract and they would have to provide alternated housing until the property was inhabitable again.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks