Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A COMMERCIAL BUILDING IS PUT UP IN MIDDLE

Customer Question

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A COMMERCIAL BUILDING IS PUT UP IN MIDDLE OF PROPERTY LINE
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What do you mean? Someone put up a building across two property lines? Please explain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The building and property was family owned however it was split up in later years. The side I now own there is a commercial garage down the middle of two lots mostly belonging to me what can be done to divide the to businesses

Thank you for your reply.

Please explain. At the time it was built it was all part of commonly owned property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now its split

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, you essentially have granted an easement over your property for the building. There is legally nothing that can be done here, because the previous owners set this up and divided it prior to your acquiring it. This actually means your land is worth much less based on that easement and the only thing you can do is negotiate to either buy the whole garage from the other owner and extinguish the easement or you can sell it to the other owner to extinguish the easement. Those are really your only two options. If they refuse to buy it from you or allow you to buy it from them, then your predecessors who set this up really have caused you the harm for which there is no legal way to resolve.