Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I own a condo with certain rules.Can the assoc change the

Customer Question

I own a condo with certain rules.Can the assoc change the rules forcing me to sell.?
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought the condo with nothing said about having a tenent. I bought it as a investment. now they said i can't have a tenent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the assoc said this.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Was there any rule in place when you bought that said you couldn't rent the property out?

.

Did you review the Bylaws and CCRs to make sure that nothing was in place preventing rentals before you purchased?

.

Have they since changed the rules and had the members vote on preventing rentals?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1-no
2-yes
3-no
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if there were no ruled in place when you bought that prevented rentals, then if they haven't passed a new rule that does prevent them, they can't stop you from renting..

.

They could impose a new rule if they put it to a vote of all the members to prohibit renting, but they would have a hard time applying it to current owners because the owners could sue and claim that it diminished the value of their property. Normally, when these type of rules are put in place, they exempt current owners and only apply to future owners to prevent them from renting.

.

.

thanks