Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

We own a house in Ct and are moving to Fla in Feb. We will

Customer Question

We own a house in Ct and are moving to Fla in Feb. We will there in a rental home 6.5 months a year. We will keep our home owned home here and rent it to my son, but stay with him for 5.5
Months a year. Ultimately we will big in fla. Can we claim florida residence!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Are you looking to do so for tax purposes?

.

Will you be staying in the rental long term or do you anticipate moving each year to a new rental?

.

.

thanks

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we anticipate buying a home in fla next year and living there 6.5 mos or more every year. We are moving because we're retiring and keeping the house so my son can live there and ultimately buy it. It also gives us a place to stay 5.5 mos when we visit. Is it for tax purposes? No, but if there's a tax advantage we can benefit from we would like to. Does this help?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then you can declare FL to be your state of residence by filing a "Declaration of Domicile" with the clerk of the circuit court in the town where you intend to reside permanently. There is no set amount of time you have to live there, you just have to file the Declaration stating it is your intent to make FL your state of residence. Florida Statute §222.17 states that a person can show intent to maintain a Florida residence as a permanent home by filing a sworn Declaration of Domicile with the clerk of the circuit court.

.

.

thanks