Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I had a lease at a condo that was to end in November 2015. I

Customer Question

I had a lease at a condo that was to end in November 2015. I broke the lease in July giving 69 days notice. The lease had on the last page that if I broke the lease the landlord is entitled to 2 months rent. My last month rent was applied to August and I arranged with the landlord to show the place to prospective tenants she provided which I did and she leased the place for September 1. She will not return my security deposit even though there was a verbal agmt.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Did the lease list the 2 months rent as a "buy out" clause or as liquidated damages in the event of a breach?

.

And are you saying that you had prepaid rent that paid for August and then they rented to a new tenant beginning Sept 1?

.

.

thanks