Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

My husband is a general contractor who was working on a

Customer Question

My husband is a general contractor who was working on a small job. The house caught on fire. The Fire Marshall said it was an electrical issue but could not find the heat source. My husband was not there at the time but had been working on the house 1/2 hour prior. The insurance company is after him. He doesn't have insurance. If the fire marshals report does not find fault is my husband responsible?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

The owners have to prove he was negligent here.If the report is inconclusive they may have trouble blaming your husband You would have some good facts to defend the matter if your husband was not there and the source cannot be traced.It is possible it was an act of god here , a regular electrical fire not caused by anyone.

If the insurance company sues he will have to defend.I cannot see based on what you present that they can necessarily link him if the cause was electrical but no source identified.I am assuming it is possible a electrical or other appliance could have caused it and is as likely as anything he did.Your husband may need his own lawyer to protect him and argue no negligence.

Lawyer referral here..

http://www.massbar.org/for-the-public/need-a-lawyer

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.