P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
11181181

My HOA decided to resurface the balconies of my condo but i

Customer Question

My HOA decided to resurface the balconies of my condo but i will be responsible for the actual cost of resurfacing and i will have to pay $600 to a company they hired. Is this legal?
why do i have to pay their own contractor and not get my own for half of the price?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

This depends on your HOA bylaws. That is, the ability for an HOA board of directors to require members of the association to cover the costs you describe is dependent, entirely, on the bylaws of the HOA.

You will want to review your bylaws to see what they say about this...specifically, what procedures must the board of directors follow before requiring members to pay costs. Then, you want to verify that the requirements have been met. For example, it is not uncommon for a 2/3 vote of directors is required for such matters...if your bylaws provide for this, you can review the meeting minutes to ensure that the board met the required votes.

To answer your question, can the board force you to use their contractor (and prohibit you from hiring your own)? Yes...they can, IF the bylaws of the HOA allow it.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they can send someone in my home to paint my doors if I don't want too?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Just a moment please

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

The (the HOA board of directors) MUST follow the rules. IF the rules allowed them to paint your doors? Then yes...they could paid the doors...this is why you want to look carefully at the bylaws (since that limits what they can do)