Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I have an inherited interest in some real estate (a farm

Customer Question

I have an inherited interest in some real estate (a farm with house) in Oklahoma, jointly owned by me and 3 other relatives in equal shares. Can I file for partition there? If so, how do I do this and what is involved?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Yes, you can file a partition action to divide the property equally between the owners OR the partition can be used to force the sale of the property. Usually, dividing property is do-able when you're dealing with land only.......but when there's a house involved, it usually results in one owner buying the other out.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Either way, you would have to file a partition lawsuit and name each of the other 3 relatives as defendants.....once the action is filed and they are served, the court usually will order an appraisal to be done to set the property value. Then, the judge will usually give each owner the opportunity to buy the other one out. If there are no takers, the property would be sold at auction and the proceeds would be divided between the owners based on their ownership interest.