Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have an HOA that changed the method to access the front

Customer Question

I have an HOA that changed the method to access the front lobby of the condo project. They took away the Key access and replaced it with a electronic key fob. We had three keys when we purchased the unit in 2003. There are three owners on title. They were keys that said "Do not Duplicate" HOA only gave me 2 fobs and said I would have to purchase the 3rd at $100. My contention is they owe me the 3 because they took the access away from all three of us. They state one of us can enter a back door with a punch code. One of the owners recently was knocked down from a thug there. I noticed them and have a lawyer holding my HOA dues until this is cleared. Now HOA threatened to file lien and foreclose for non payment of HOA dues. Can they just take away access to main front well lite lobby? Lock smiths says the key fob cost is under $5.00
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

They cannot. You should sue them first before they take action against you. They should be called out for their bullying tactics. They cannot take away key access without replacing them with the three FOBS. You would need an Attorney who handles HOA/Condo issues to assist you with this case.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Consumeradvocates.org

justia.com

lawyers.com

Findlaw.com