ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

Can an owner ask you to leave after the term of your lease

Customer Question

Can an owner ask you to leave after the term of your lease and the owners dont move back in someone else does is this legal
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, this would be legal. A lease is the right to stay in the property for as long as the lease is active (and as long as you pay rent). But once the lease is over, it converts to a "month to month" tenancy. In short what that means is that either party can terminate the lease upon one month's rent. The owner can terminate the tenancy giving you notice to vacate, even if the owner isn't going to live in the property. It is, after all, his property, even though you've been residing in it for some time. He still has the "ultimate" say in how it is used, and this is still legal. Only a lease for a specific period of time would protect you, and only to the extent that the lease was still active (that is, that the end point in the lease had not yet come).

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?