ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

I moved in with a friend and am paying $400 amonth. He has

Customer Question

I moved in with a friend and am paying $400 amonth. He has had a another frind move in 2 weeks ago and informed me that he is buy into the house and he wants me to move out at the end of October. I moved in April 1 2015 and no lease. What are my options,please. Jerry
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Without a written lease that gives you a specific period of time where you're guaranteed a certain rent and the ability to live there, such a lease situation that you would be in is a "month to month" lease. A month to month lease can be terminated by either landlord or tenant with 1 month's written notice specifying that you will need to be out of the premises. It's one month and written, so if he told you verbally and/or less than 1 month from when you need to be out, that's not enough. If you're still there in November, he couldn't "kick you out" but would have to go through the legal process of eviction, and that would require him going to court and showing that he gave one month's written notice prior to filing the eviction action. If he can't show that, then the eviction would be denied until he could. So that's something that could give you additional rights, in that you would be able to require him to give you one month's written notice, and that could give you a little bit more time. But aside from that, being a month to month tenant, you wouldn't have any rights to stay there indefinitely against the will of the owner of the premises.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!